Wednesday, May 24, 2023

GWPR-19 STANDING ON THE PROMISES

 Standing on the Promises

 

The old hymn rings out the confidence that He has promised and he will keep them.  What promises come to mind that He has made to us?  Let’s focus on four, of the many:

 

1.  “I will be with you…” have you ever watched a child dropped off for school the first day of kindergarten?  “parting anxiety”  My mom sat with a crying 6-yr-old for a couple of days.  (my first report card has no grades, only the comment, “he cries all the time”!)  My own daughter, as they forced her onto the schoolbus, threw out her arms and legs like a cat being forced into a bathtub.  Her mother ended up taking her to school and sitting with her until her fears calmed.  (her brothers reacted differently, maybe, having seen that school is not a blackhole with no way out, since she came home, repeatedly?)  Is He there?  Am I alone?  He is there and He does care!  We just need the eyes to see Him.  I am reminded of the story of the young child sleeping with his recently widowed mother.  As she sobbed quietly, she heard the child’s forlorn voice, “Mama, are you there?”  “Yes, baby, hush and go to sleep.”  As the child reached out his hand, in the dark, to touch his mama’s face, he asked, “but, are you looking at me?”  Jesus has promised to be with us, every step of the way, “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Mt.28:20)  You are not alone.  Count the footprints!! “yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me…” (Ps.23)

 

2.  “I will not leave you as orphans … I will come back …”  the old spiritual wails, “sometimes, I feel, like a mother-less child”  I remember a scene in a sci-fi thriller where the heroine, Ripley, promises the newly discovered, frightened child, Newt, left alone on the alien-infested planet, that she “will come back”; and as the heroine rescues the child, she reminds her, “I promised you I’d come back …”  Scoffers may defiantly deny, “where is the promise of his coming?” (2Pet.3:4)  But, I choose to believe!  The Creator made it all with a “word” and He can end it all with a single word.  The legions stand ready with bated breath for the command.  The Snake and all his imps will retreat in horror.  The Lamb will arise from his throne and descend with his holy host to bring home his own.  Jesus promised, “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live.” (Jn.14:18-19)

 

3.  “He will finish the work he has begun in us …”  quitting is such an easy thing to do; yet such an embarrassing situation.  How many resolutions have been neglected?  How many projects lay in ruin, waiting for the completion they will never see?  Each of us has victories, but too often we have stumbles, discouragement, and punts.  One of my favorite promises is Paul’s confidence, “that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”  (Phil.1:6)  I have read about the tower builder with short funds and the king with a troop shortage (Lk.14).  But, I begin to believe that I am challenged to admit my deficiencies, not admonished to “pay the price”?!!  Oh, yes, I am to build, and build wisely and diligently.  But, in the end, salvation is mine!  He will make it happen. (1Cor.3:10-15)

 

 4.  “the Lamb is victorious …”  it is just half-time, maybe even 4th quarter; I do not know.  But this I do know, we will win!  I do not care if the score is 100 to 0, we will win!  “I am persuaded that he is able…” wrote the apostle. (2Tim.1:12)  “Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. In a loud voice they sang:    "Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!"(Rev.5:11-12)  We are going to win; and then we are going to celebrate, forever!

 

No comments: