Wednesday, May 24, 2023

GWPR-08 LOOK ON THE INSIDE or MADE IN HIS IMAGE!

 Look On the Inside

made in His image!

After several hours of yard-work, we decided to dip in the pool; the water is cool and refreshing, even if a little breathtakingly brisk, this early in the year.  After a short swim, a quick shower, we dress and head to town to shop and get a hamburger, our Saturday date.

“Are you ashamed of me?” comes the question as she rearranges the mop she has quickly blow-dried.  “No” is my response; but, from deep within comes the thought “I am proud to be seen with you.”  And, for a moment, my visions switches to some other spectrum, like infra-red or ultraviolet, but something very different.  Like a scene in some sci-fi movie, we glow, even in the sunlight.  I remember a scene on some Star Trek where a being evolved into the next level; but, my thoughts turn to the Hebrew word, seraphim.

What are we really?  What is our essence?  We are made in the very image of the Almighty.  Within us is the seed of the Divine, bene elohim.  But, we look to the height and weight, the color and the shape.  How blind we are!  Remember the selection of young David by the prophet Samuel?  Six fine brothers passed muster unsuccessfully before the young shepherd was called in.  Remember the admiration of the physique of Saul before him, and the failure that necessitated Samuel’s visit?

Open my eyes that I may see ... the value of a faithful wife’s love, this woman who has seen a heavenly messenger as she prays for her dad away in Vietnam.  Let me see the value of the minimum-wage, over-weight worker serving my hamburger.  Let me see the family resemblance in all that I meet.  And bring to the surface, this beauty within.  Strip away all arrogance and pride.  Help me to think of others as better than myself.  Let me not be so carnal that I am blind to the spiritual.

No comments: