Wednesday, May 24, 2023

GWPR-06 HE LIVES

 He Lives!

A Relationship With Jesus

HE LIVES

 

In the old hymn, I Serve A Risen Savior, the writer pens these words:

 

I serve a risen Savior, He's in the world today;

I know that He is living, whatever men may say.

 

And the refrain says,

 

He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today!

He walks with me and talks with me along life's narrow way.

He lives, He lives salvation to impart!

You ask me how I know He lives?

He lives within my heart.

 

What is the foundation of knowing God?  How does one connect with the Divine?  Is it rational, spiritual, mystical, all the above?  If one compares a relationship with God to the building of a house, then there are at least three elements to knowing God.

 

First, there are Proofs for His being there.  The philosophers list four:  [a fifth should be suggested] 1.  teological argument (design), 2. cosmological argument (causality), 3. ontological argument (existence/being/definition), 4. moral argument (morality), and [5. revelation (revealed Scripture)].  These could be discussed and debated at great length.  For now, let’s move on – Since He is there, the question comes, “What is he?!”  Is he kind, cruel, personal, indifferent?

 

This brings us to the second concern, the Incarnation.  This point can best be illustrated with a question once asked to Jesus – (Jn.14:8-9) Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us." Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?  When you want to know how the Almighty feels about sinners, think of Jesus hanging on the Cross and asking the Father to have mercy on the ignorant crowd below! (Lk.23:34)  When you want to know whether God cares about the pain in your heart, look at Jesus and the compassion he repeatedly showed, to a grieving widow who lost her only child, to a leprous outcast with no friends, to a misguided woman going from man to man, to a woman dragged before him straight from her promiscuous bedroom.  Over and over, He is  “Immanuel"—which means, "God with us." (Isa.7:14; Mt.1:23).  Like the men of old who approached one of the 12, we should seek this man! “Now there were some Greeks among those who went up to worship at the Feast. They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, with a request. "Sir," they said, "we would like to see Jesus." (Jn.12:20-21)  Another time, Jesus made a remarkable statement to this same Philip – “Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us." Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? (Jn.14:8-9)  Did Philip fully appreciate what he was showing them?!  Do you see Him?

 

The third matter, is the Indwelling.  The song intones, “He lives within my heart”.  Is it emotional vs. rational?  You can surely appreciate the difference between “knowing about him” and “knowing him”!  To be sure, as an ancient poet said, “For in him we live and move and have our being.” (Acts17:28)  But, it runs much deeper for the believer.  Jesus has promised to take up residence in our heart!   And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth… My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.”. (Jn.14:16-17,23)  Paul, the apostle of Jesus, explains,  “those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God…. The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children” (Rom.8:14,16) 

 

The hymn writers speak of such a relationship.  In Break thou the Bread of Live, the writer pens these words – “Beyond the sacred page I seek Thee, Lord; My spirit pants for Thee, O living Word!”  Similarly, another writer gives us these thoughts – “And He walks with me, and He talks with me, And He tells me I am His own; And the joy we share as we tarry there, None other has ever known.” in the old hymn, In The Garden Don’t you want that?!

 

As said, this could all be compared to a building:  1.  one builds the frame,  2.  then one paints and trims, and 3.  one makes it a home!  Can one make a home under a bridge?  Certainly.  But, there a mansion available, for the taking!  And, He is building another one too! (Jn.14:1-3)

No comments: