Saturday, December 21, 2013

Dumbledore’s Wink



Dumbledore’s Wink

(re-watching Harry Potter with the wife…)

                Harry avoided Slytherin and was sorted to Gryffindor.  As he sat down beside Ron, and across from Hermione, he received a warm welcome from upperclassmen.  Then he looked up at the table on the stage, and smiled as Dumbledore affirmingly and affectionately nodded and winked in his direction.  And, the story begins.



                As I walked across the podium, after three long years of toil, study, research, prayer, and meditation, I reached with my left hand for the diploma, and with my right hand to accept congratulations from the Dean, Harold Hazelip, my mentor and favorite professor.  He shook my hand and hugged my neck as he handed me the paper so long desired.  But, he whispered, “Jerry, I did not think I’d ever see you here…”  I pulled back in shock; and, he just grinned.  (I have sometimes wondered if Hazelip often said such things, or if I was just special?!)

                One day, soon enough, we will all stand before the Throne for the sorting ceremony.  Will we be sorted with the Slitherings?  Will the head-table smile, or sadly turn away?  Or, will the Lamb whisper, “… thought you’d never make it…”?!

Be warned,

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’   (Matthew 7:21-23- NIV)

But, also know that …

“being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”  (Philippians 1:6 - NIV)

And,

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.”  (Matthew 25:34 - NIV)



No comments: