Sunday, September 17, 2017

PAIN




In the darkness, I can still hear the moaning, as she rolls over to relieve the pain in her shoulder. But, now she is forced to sleep on her bad hip, injured in a car wreck four decades ago.   An old injury competes with in old age joint problem for Relief, even if temporary, from pain. My hand, lovingly placed on her arm, is brushed away with a grimace of pain.


" let her sleep," I think to myself. Some nights, I asked heaven to transfer her pain to me. Tonight, I beg, " take away her pain. You can, if you will...".  Then insomniac theology takes over and I begin to muse, " through suffering he learned obedience... We must all suffer to enter the Kingdom...". Then my thoughts turn to " three score and ten... tick, tock... time is ticking away... I hear her blessed grandfather clock chiming the quarter hour..."


I must go back to sleep. I have to go to work tomorrow, and probably the delayed, lime kiln outage will be rescheduled?! Morbidly, I wonder if I will be alone for the last few miles.  Will we walk across the finish line, holding hands? Or, will she finish first and be waiting at the Finish Line smiling at me as I come into view on the last lap?  " Lord, just leave her here, and I will push her to the Finish Line in a wheelchair!" is my thought, as I am drifting off to sleep.  


"... no more pain...". Is the thought floating by as I drift off.  Jesus reminds me of his promise, written by John, of the new Heaven and new earth! I can see the hissing demons named death and pain being driven back to their pit!

No comments: