Thursday, October 16, 2014

By My Name



By My Name


                My job, a pulp mill mechanic, involves numerous skills and designations.  We are multi-craft, like so many mechanics nowadays, and can be millwrights, pipefitters, machinists, welders, … and we need the skills of previously recognized trades – tinsmith, blacksmith, wheelwright, ironworker, rigger, carpenter, painter, … and then management tests individuals for “specializations” including hydraulics, pneumatics, R-stamp, 50-ton crane operator, …  and, we are now expected to be computer literate in a number of programs!  And, then one must consider the “sparkies” – Electrical and Instrumentation!  Sounds complicated?!  Pay and prestige are both a part of this scheme.  All of this is detailed in HR documents, with designations beside the name of each “mechanic” in our mill.

 

 
 
                Another list is kept in the Third Heaven, with the names of each of us.  I muse and wonder what is written beside my name there!  My designations in that record include these – forgiven, saved, washed, adopted, grafted, redeemed, sanctified, justified, … But, I also expect that there are some erased and/or scratched-out lines!  (Maybe “forgiven” is just stamped over those lines obscuring what was underneath?!)

 
                The skills in the first list involved training, effort, testing – in order to get them listed beside ones name.  The designations in the second list, well, those are another matter, entirely!  They were just given to me, even though I do not deserve them!


 

 

No comments: