Tuesday, May 22, 2012

THE TEN “SUGGESTIONS”?!


THE TEN “SUGGESTIONS”?!


     1.       No other gods.
     2.       No idols.
     3.       No loose god-talk.
     4.       Sabbath, keep it.
     5.       Honor parents.
     6.       No killing.
     7.       No adultery.
     8.       No stealing.
     9.       No lying.
   10.       No coveting. (craving others’ stuff)



Forgive if this paraphrased summary is too banal or disrespectful for your tastes.  But, I think we need to begin a discussion about morality.  It seems to me that the un-churched “world”, and also, believers, as a whole, have both become way too lax.  (I am reluctant to begin this discussion because it is convicting, personally!)  FB friends post links to blogs that hold up for admiration churches that are “open and accepting”.  Even on a Christian forum, posts talk about 95% of people entering marriage sexually active.  “boys will sow their wild oats” was the old adage.  (Now, such a comment would just get “queer” looks!  but …)

I was reared in a fairly conservative family.  And, I was the watchdog even in that circle!  “no dancing, no mixed-bathing, no short-shorts, no skipping church, no …”  But, as I have gotten older, I have gotten a bit more lax.  I still ask the teens to wear shirts over their swimsuits when we have a pool party; but, we have entertained around our pool.  And money – I was taught to tithe and to be frugal.  The words “we must live simply, so that others may simply live” strike a chord in my heart.  I buy BASIC vehicles, and drive them until they drop.  But, I have spent a few thousand bucks on a camper.  Frivolous?  Maybe.  I bought it to travel with my wife when we retire, and save money on hotels!  Church attendance?  Once it was every time the doors were open.  Now – we too often skip pm’s.  And, I do not stay on top of my kids too hard about their patterns; though, I do have concerns, to one degree or another.  Every area covered by these Ten Rules could be a part of this discussion.  But, the point is not any one rule, but the honoring of rules.  “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom” is a point for discussion.

To be clear, I believe that the heart is the crucial concern.  And, I see legalism and judgmental-ism as two heinous sins!  And, I am not advocating some sort of “Amish asceticism”.  (Nor, am I anything but repulsed by some sort of "Episcopalian libertarianism".)  But, I have to ponder seriously if we are the main ingredient in a devil’s concoction of frog soup!  There was a time, not too long ago, when preachers spoke against theaters, short skirts, card-playing, rock music, …  Maybe they were too severe and strict.  But, it confuses me when I visit churches in coastal areas and folks show up in swimsuits?!  (but, I do like to play Rook and listen to Chicago, sometimes.)

And, I do quibble with Book.  How does rule #6 apply to war and capital punishment?  How does rule #2 apply to religious art?  How does rule #4 apply to us, this side of the Cross?  How do we violate #10?!

The mega-churches and emerging-church groups seem to be suggesting no guidelines.  They seem to promote consumerism and “prosperity” and “acceptance”.  The churches of yester-year (and, maybe, small, rural churches?) spoke of holiness and evangelism and sacrifice.  (Paul spoke of faith, hope, and love?!)  This is an over-simplification, but not too far off the mark, IMHO.  The world is lost without  Jesus, amen!  And, we seem to be losing a generation of young people.  Some bloggers promote slacking off and being relevant, whatever those things mean.  To me, if a group is no different than I am, then why would I possibly want to join it?  (Think about that!)

Are there signs we are going in the right direction?  What is the evidence we are becoming lukewarm, worldly, and carnal.  What do you think?  How would you describe the state of the 21st century church?  Are we marked more by holiness and reverence or, by Hollywood and revelry?

I see signs of revival, but they are off-shore.  (from an American perspective)  I read numbers on the American church scene that suggests that the percentage of churched people is dropping off 50% per decade on the age continuum.  Just look at the number of bald/gray heads in too many congregations.  Is the answer to be found in our being relevant, or is it in returning to values lost and forgotten?  Perhaps, it is some other concern or direction that needs attention and promotion?  How far have gotten from Sinai?  Is the Sermon on the Mount even on our radar?  Has God changed? Or, is it us?!


No comments: