Thursday, May 28, 2020

SEEN AND UNSEEN

The Seen and the Unseen




Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!" Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."
John 20:28‭-‬29 ESV

As an old hymn, The New Song, states "I want to hear the angels singing..."  I want a miracle! A sensational, undeniable, incredible manifestation of God Almighty!  How could the children of God, having seen so much, turn away in disbelief?  I want to see Power!  An angel! A blinding light!

UNSEEN - just imagine ...

The fiery cloudy pillar.
The Red Sea walls.
Smoking Mount Sinai.
Jericho's collapsed walls.
Return from Exile.
Lazarus among us again.
Jesus, arisen!

Yet, I know that I am really no different.  Prone to wander.  But, I do wonder, and sense the awe?!

He said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.'"
Luke 16:31 ESV

What have I seen?  What makes me believe?  What forces me to my knees, even prostate, with lifted hands, and teary eyes?  What grabs my heart, like a loving father turning the face of a stubborn child, to make eye contact, whispering words of wisdom?

SEEN - proofs, tracks, signs ...

the love in a friend, a spouse, a child.
the silent, celestial, night-sky chorus.
the beauty of a green, fruitful garden.
The rolling thunder and flashing lightning.
The cool, wet calm after a storm.
the warmth of meditation on the written word.
Reading of His calm wisdom, and His kind, selfless, sacrificial love.
The joy of walking with Him.
The fear and emptiness of separation from heaven.
The exhilaration of worship, singing His praise.
The still, small voice, whispering ...

For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God,
Job 19:25‭-‬26 ESV

Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!"
John 20:28 ESV


No comments: