Monday, September 21, 2015

Calvin & Birdfeeder


Calvin & B.F. (the birdfeeder, not Hobbes?!)

          I stepped out the front door, and the little F16 met me and inquired about the empty fuel station.  I could not really decide if he was threatening me, or just sounded menacing, with his whirring wing activity.  But, I ducked back inside, and told my wife that the hummingbird feeder was empty, both of them!  She looked up from her sewing machine, and said, “… 3 cups water, 1 cup sugar … now you know how …”  (we make a good team with our different databases of knowledge?!)


          Soon I had both feeders back on line, and the squadron of fighters reappeared from their perches in the oaks in the yard.  They really are not very nice to each other, competing and combating, posturing and pushing, … finally settling into an uneasy truce with 5-6 birds keeping both eyes open as they sip the sugar nectar.  But, I had helped, maybe.


          “… your Heavenly Father feedeth the birds …” came to mind as I returned to my forgotten sidetrack.  I mused, “… so, I am a worker with God!”  I know the Book says that He feeds the birds; but, He had used me to take care of this task, this time, this place.  Sure, there were flowers all over the place screaming for cross-pollenization with nectar to entice the little fighters.  Maybe I was no better than Sarah offering Hagar to Abraham?  God can do it on his own.  But, birdfeeders are no sin!


          “Salvation is the work of God; and you really can do nothing about it…” is the sentiment I hear from some of my Presbyterian brothers, with Baptists echoing the sentiment, with some of the mental framework stripped away.  “… whosoever will …” is the mantra of the Cumberland boys.  “… choose ye this day …” is quoted by the A-team.  One side considers the other a bunch of birdbrains; but, they, in turn,  think the other side is flighty and ...


          “what if God predestined …”  “no sparrow falls, unknown to the Father …”  “a sower went forth to sow, and … the birds came and ate …”  Let’s just keep slinging the seed!

(the birdbrain is at work, again…”  guess these birds were not elect?!)




No comments: