Monday, September 10, 2012

BLUE LIGHTS, or, “maybe it will just go away?”


BLUE LIGHTS 

or,  

“maybe it will just go away?”



                “Oh, crap!” were the words that I murmured when the blue lights came on, flashing out, for all to see, my transgression highlighting – 74 in a 55.  As the cop went by in the opposite direction, I hoped, in vain, that he was just scolding me.  I fruitlessly imagined, “maybe it will just go away…”

                You see, I was passing a log truck which was hauling tree length logs.  I was north-bound and had just merged behind him, east-bound at the four-way stop.  Headed to work, I looked at my watch, and grew impatient with his slow acceleration – 20 – 30 – 40 – 50 – finally a passing zone!  So, I peeked out; saw it was clear, and began to accelerate around – 50 – 55 – 60 – oops – over the hill ahead, an approaching car popped into view.

                Quickly, I calculated the closing gap’s distance, my speed, and the log truck’s length (including protruding logs).  But, the problem was that he was still accelerating!!  Options?  1) brake onto the left shoulder, 2) brake back into line behind the log truck (and trailing traffic), 3) stomp it.  One other unforeseen factor (?!) -- the rapidly approaching, oncoming car, in my lane, is a police car!  Forgot to factor in that one!  “but, officer, I was passing a log truck…” seemed to fall on deaf ears.

                Two days later, after a couple of phone calls, pleading for a chance to tell my version, I was presented with my options:  1) pay the ticket (worth a week’s wages at minimum wage) and go to driving school (at my expense), 2) go to court and plead my case to a judge who “only looks at the radar numbers,” or, 3) beg for mercy!  My stomach cramps were coming  back in full force.  With humility, and with meekness, I imploringly looked into the eyes of the police chief … (his eyes were as blue as those blue lights that caught my breath and made my heart skip a beat).

                In another setting, years before, the HR manager demanded, “… you have to tell me the truth…”  as I stonewalled his inquiries.  He already knew.  The “Unauthorized Access” warning  on my computer screen was recorded with time-stamp and id-stamp at corporate.  The sick feeling of capture with no hope of escape overwhelmed me.  No, one cannot really hide his transgressions nor tracks.  He wanted to hear me say it, for my own good (whether he recognized this or not).  I was stubborn, prideful, angry …

                Actually, neither of these incidents compare with another alarm, flashing light, arrest, confrontation.  It won’t be blue lights, nor a jpeg stop-sign on your monitor.  It will be a trumpet blast!  The skies will fold open, the trumpet will blare, the graves will split open, we will arise to meet Him in the air!  At that time, will you be dancing in ecstasy, or cringing in fear looking for a hole in which to hide?!  “…maybe it will just go away?”  NOT.  God have mercy on us, for we are sinners; but, you are love and mercy.

 
Matthew 24  30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.  31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. (KJV)

1 Corinthians 15 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. (KJV)

No comments: