Thursday, April 25, 2019

THE WALK TO SCHOOL

THE WALK TO SCHOOL

School is a very good place,
but it's a bit of a walk to get there.
I look straight ahead, just in case.
Been warned,  "of side streets, beware..."

Some of my friends like to "skip"!?
Not sure why or where they all go.
Again, " straight there" was my Dad's tip.
But, friends whisper, "you just don't know!"

What's down those side streets, dark alleys?
My friends seem happy, and none the worse?!
The mountains are nice, but what's in the valleys?
I'm growing tired of "book, chapter and verse"

I glance, only seldom, down the detours.
But, lately it seems to be more often.
The sights and the sounds have their allures.
"Just once will not hurt, but never again"?!

Where did the time go, slipping away?!
I have learned so much that I'd like to forget!
I just dropped out, sometime back in the day.
Now I cannot even remember what I regret?!

The school bells now no longer ever ring.
Some kids may be home schooled, I guess?!
The side streets have not taught me one good thing.
Unless, it's that I have been on a fool's quest.

God, wake me up, from this nightmare!
How else will I ever escape from dark despair? 




No comments: