Wednesday, December 23, 2015

ADDICT


ADDICT

“…hey, can I get a dip from you? Left my can at the gym…”  and, with that, I came out of his back pocket, to be opened by the other, a generous pinch then dug out and placed in the other’s mouth!  Another onlooker asked, “… is that stuff addictive?”  and, yet another fellow added, “… just smelling the stuff is making me crave it; and, I have not dipped in years.  Nicotine is a powerful drug.  I have not smoked in a while, either; but, when I puff on a cigarette, I can feel the stuff warmly running through my veins…”

There are many addictions, some chemical, some more mental.  Many guys who tote me around in their pocket, also love bottled addictions.  Of course there are snorted and smoked things out there.  Some even use needles.  And, then there is the internet.  Some spend hours filling up their eyes, and hearts, with shocking images.

The Book mentions not being filled with wine, but with the Spirit.  Now there is an ADDICTION!  Imagine a SPIRITUAL addiction?!  How would it be similar?  Different?  What if folks were drawn to things above, like they are to things down here?  What would it look like?  How would their lives be better?

And, how would a Jesus-junkie feed his habit?  Would it be a daily addiction?  Or, just a week-end diversion?  Would it consume him?  Could he just walk away from it?  Would everything else in his life just fade into nothing?



There’s something in the Book about their having “treasure in earthen vessels…” but I think they are full of something else?!  I don’t know much; I am just a Skoal can!  But, it seems that there is more to life than what I can give?

No comments: