Sunday, February 15, 2015

Barnacles And The Pier Piling



BARNACLES


I do not know about the whole ocean, but this particular bay is wild and rough – tides, currents, ship wakes, inlets …  It is enough to sweep you out to who knows where!



I know that some of my brothers have chosen ships.  Why?!  They are big, awesome structures.  And, there are lots of other barnacles on them.  But, I’ve learned that they scrape them off, from time to time?!



I am clinging for dear life to this pier.  Ships tie off to it, but they come and go.  Some untie and power away.  Some have been blown away by storms.  But, this pier pile remains.  It is driven down deep into the bedrock.



I don’t get above the water line, except at low tide.  Can’t see too well, since I am just a barnacle, but there is some sort of cross piece halfway up this piling.  Seagulls light on it and rest from their fishing.  They make an awful racket.  Means something to them, I suppose.



There are barnacle unions, and barnacle societies (secret), and barnacle books.  It’s all too much for me.  I am just clinging to this upright pole.




No comments: