Friday, January 2, 2015

THROWING PENNIES



Throwing Pennies

            Saw a man slinging pennies around at a shopping mall.  He was outside Sears when I first saw him, while I was waiting on my wife.  I like to sit in the common areas and people-watch.  One can see all types!  Teens texting on I-phones, mothers strolling with toddlers, old folks getting exercise, toughs strutting, wolves trolling for babes, …

            This gray-haired, old man was reaching into his backpack, and throwing a small handful of pennies across the floor when he thought nobody was watching.  He would smile when the little kids found one of the pennies.  When the clean-up lady stopped to sweep up the coins, he would frown, and kind of look away, as if he had nothing to do with the situation.  Sometimes folks would pick them up, make a wish, and toss them into the mall fountain.

            My wife came by and said Belk was next; I smiled and said I would wait right there.  I walked around the fountain and sat beside the old fart.  He smiled and nodded back when I raised my hand in a gesture of greeting.  I could not help it and began to talk to him, “penny for your thoughts?”  He was glad to chat and began to answer my question about his penny philanthropy.
























            “I do what I can to make this a better place.  I know I don’t look like it, but I have a M.B.A. and once worked with Morgan Fargo.  I was pretty good, made quite a bundle!  But, somehow, I got off track.  I really do not know what happened.  Maybe I never should have gone into finance …  but, I did like to help people with their retirement plans.”

            I asked him how he became the penny-thrower.  What was he doing?!  Why did he go around town, taking pennies out of his backpack, and sling them on the ground, hoping somebody would be helped, if nothing more than giving them a smile and a wish?

            “I thought I was going make everybody rich while I did my thing as a financial adviser.  It seemed to work for a while.  But, the company was less interested in really helping folks with investments, and more interested in helping themselves to the folks’ investments.  I lost my altruism and became disillusioned.  I decided to party with them and even try a few snorts.  That powder is strong stuff and a soul-stealer.  I went to some dark places; but, thank the Lord, I survived and escaped.  It must have been Him that delivered me.”

            I was perplexed and amused.  I was enjoying the conversation, but something inside me wanted to understand how he got to be a strange little man with a bag of pennies.  So, I probed deeper and asked him to explain his funny hobby.

            “Well, I was let go from my job.  I have a loving wife who has stood by me through thick and thin, keeping me together.  We do what we can, when we can, if we can.  We give away secret gifts.  We have an orphan fund we support … we do what we can.  I cannot solve all the world’s problems; but I can bring a smile to children and well-wishers!  Do you think I am crazy?”


            He smiled, got up and walked toward the exit, dropping pennies as he strolled outside.  I thought I heard him say something about a cup of water?!




































24 He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not winnow; 25 so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.’ 26 But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sowed, and gather where I have not winnowed? 27 Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest.  (Mt.25)

“And whoever gives to one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he shall not lose his reward.” Matthew 10:42
 

No comments: