Tuesday, September 17, 2013

CONTACT



CONTACT

As I age, I can better understand my dad – why he did not want to throw a ball anymore, walk around at the city-fest, … You see, his joints ached.  More importantly, I can appreciate the sense of isolation he must have felt while sitting at many a family gathering, just smiling and staring at the floor, alone in his own little world.  Years in a mill, pre-PPE, had robbed his hearing.  But, he wore a peaceful smile, as if listening to a friend talk of good times, before and ahead.


  Last week I sat on a pick-up tailgate with a friend, after helping him move some roofing materials.  I asked about his preaching son, and the conversation quickly and deeply dove into the depths of doubt.  Like my dad, he could hear the din of noise, but could not discern the truth.  Although his son was a preacher, he is not a church going man.  But, he is listening.  “Which religion…?”  “Mistakes in the Bible …?”  “… opinions of men…?”  “…which books belong in the Bible…?”  He was looking for truth and purpose.  He admitted regret over a profligate life, salvaged by a good woman.  We talked of Moses (Heb.11) choosing suffering over sin.  But, he had dulled his hearing and lying voices of regret and defeat were screaming at him.  The noise made the voice of truth indiscernible?


Like Helen Keller, we need a “miracle worker”, we need an Anne Sullivan to open up our vistas and horizons, to open our blind eyes to the world we cannot see.  We thrash about in our personal darkness – frustrated, fearful, falling.  Keller could not read the news, listen to music, see where she was going.  But, Sullivan opened up her world, helping her make contact with what she could not see nor hear.


Thinking on these things while driving to work at 6:30 in the morning, I came around a pine tree lined curve, and a bright, orange orb on the horizon nearly blinded my sleepy eyes.  But, I heard a voice say, “good morning!  I’m still here!”


I read to my dad on his death bed of the resurrection, of salvation, of heaven.  But, I am not sure he was listening to me.  Maybe he could already hear the angels singing?!  


No comments: